New Page 1
New Page 1
New Page 3
divided by the Limmat River into the following two general areas:
West or Left
district is dominated by Bahnhofplatz, center of rail connections, and
Bahnhofstrasse, which is the main commercial and banking thoroughfare.
East or Right
Fraum├╝nster, on the other side of the river, rises Grossm├╝nster, on
Grossm├╝nsterplatz; its two Gothic towers are an east-bank landmark. The historic
guildhalls of Zurich, such as the Zunfthaus zur Saffran, rise on the east bank
of the river. So, too, does the Rathaus, the city's town hall, completed in
1698. On the east bank you can explore the eastern part of Altstadt (the old
town), and stroll along Neumarkt, one of the best preserved of the old streets.
Altstadt (Old Town)
Both sides of
the Limmat River.
Town is one of Europe's great old quarters. Houses and squares here date back to
the 13th Century. Delightful shops & restaurants abound.
"most beautiful shopping street in the world". Begins opposite Zurich's
Central Station and continues to the Lake.
Sammlung E. G. B├╝hrle (Foundation E. G. B├╝hrle Collection)
Take Tram 11
from Bellevueplatz, then Bus 77 from Hegibachplatz.
and Sun. 2-5, Wed. 5-8.
Switzerland's best private art collections is owned by the E. G. B├╝hrle
Foundation. Though it's known especially for its Impressionist and
post-Impressionist works, the collection also includes Spanish and Italian
paintings from the 16th to 18th centuries. There is a limited but very special
section of 24 religious sculptures from the Middle Ages.
Fluntern (Fluntern Cemetery)
the author of Ulysses, lived in Zurich from 1915 to 1919, at Universitatsstrasse
38. In 1941 he returned to Zurich from Paris, only a month before his death.
Near his tomb is a statue depicting the great Irish writer sitting cross-legged
with a book in his hand. Elias Canetti, winner of the Nobel Prize for literat
ure in 1981, died in August 1994; his grave lies to the left of Joyce's.
The grave of Johanna Spiri (1827-1901), who wrote the famous story Heidi,
is in the Central Cemetery.
(Church of Our Lady)
Mon.-Sat. 9-6; Oct., Mon.-Sat. 10-5; Nov.-Feb., Mon.-Sat. 10-4; Mar.-Apr.,
Fraum├╝nster church spires are Z├╝rich's signature. Its Romanesque choir is a
peaceful spot for meditation beneath the ocher, sapphire, and ruby glow of
stained glass windows designed by the Russian-born Marc Chagall, who loved
Z├╝rich. Augusto Giacometti, executed the fine painted window in the north
Romanesque and Gothic cathedral was, according to legend, founded by
Charlemagne, whose horse bowed down on the spot marking the graves of three
early Christian martyrs. Despite the legend, construction actually began in 1090
and additions were made until the early 14th century. The choir contains stained
glass windows completed in 1932 by Augusto Giacometti. In the crypt is a
weather-beaten, 15th-century statue of Charlemagne, a copy of which crowns the
was once the parish church of Huldrych Zwingli, one of the great leaders of the
Reformation. He urged priests to take wives (he himself had married) and
attacked the "worship of images" and the Roman sacrament of Mass. In 1531,
Zwingli was killed in a religious war at Kappel. The site of his execution is
marked with an inscription: "They may kill the body but not the soul." In
accordance with Zwingli's beliefs, Zurich's Grossmunster is austere, stripped of
the heavy ornamentation found in the cathedrals of Italy. The view from the
towers is impressive.
Zurich (Fine Arts Museum)
01 251 67 65
Tue-Thu 10-21 Fri-Sun 10-17
sculpture and drawings, predominantly 19th and 20th centuries.One of the most
important art museums in Europe, the Zurich Kunsthaus is devoted mainly to the
19th and 20th centuries, although the range of paintings and sculpture dates
back to antiquity. The museum was founded in Victorian times and was renovated
in 1976. It is one of the most modern and sophisticated museums in the world,
both in its lighting and its display of art.
Schweizerisches Landesmuseum (Swiss National Museum)
01 218 65 11
10.30-17 Mon closed
Swiss culture, art and history. This museum offers an epic survey of the
culture and history of the Swiss people. Its collection, housed in a
19th-century building behind the Zurich Hauptbahnhof, contains works of
religious art, including 16th-century stained glass from Tanikon Convent and
frescoes from the church of Mustair. Some of the Carolingian art dates back to
the 9th century. The altarpieces are carved, painted, and gilded.
prehistoric section is also exceptional. Some of the artifacts are from the 4th
millennium B.C.. A display of weapons and armor shows the methods of Swiss
warfare from 800 to 1800. There's also an exhibit tracing Swiss clockmaking from
the 16th to the 18th centuries.
01 422 76 60
Tue-Sat 14-17 Sun 13.30-18
from 1913; exhibition of mills and the miller's craft, grain and bread,
slide-show with commentary.
01 202 45 28
From the city
center follow Seestrasse south about 13⁄4 km (1 mi) until you see signs for the
museum; or take Tram 7 to the Rietberg Museum stop.
10-5. Mon closed
works of non-European art from India, China, Africa, Japan, and Southeast Asia
are displayed in the neoclassical Villa Wesendonck, once home to Richard Wagner.
the South Sea islands, the Near East, Asia, Africa, and pre-Columbian America,
the rich collection ranges from Cambodian Khmer sculptures and jade Chinese tomb
art to Japanese N├┤ masks and Tibetan bronzes. It was was assembled by Baron
Eduard von der Heydt and donated to the city of Zurich in 1952.
01 634 38 38
Tue-Fri 9-17 Sat and Sun
dinosaurs and fishes from Monte San Giorgio, and other Swiss fossil finds
Thurs., and Fri.10-11:30.
striking baroque town hall dates from 1694-98, and its interior remains as well
preserved as its fa├žade. There is a richly decorated stucco ceiling in the
Banquet Hall and a fine ceramic stove in the government council room.
Peterskirche (St. Peter's Church)
the early 13th century, Z├╝rich's oldest parish church has the largest clock face
in Europe. A church has been on this site since the 9th century. The existing
building has been considerably expanded over the years. The tower, for example,
was extended in 1534, when the clock was added; the nave was rebuilt in 1705.
Keep an eye out for inexpensive or even free classical concerts.
01 492 14 23
01 201 45 54
other succulents from all over the world
observatory is halfway between Bahnhofstrasse and the Limmat River on
Uraniastrasse. Call in advance for hours (based on weather). The observatory has
been at this site since 1907. Because of its central location, it offers a
panoramic view not only of Zurich but of the lake and the distant Alps. You can
see the stars, planets, and galaxy through a 20 ton Zeiss telescope.
a half hour from Z├╝rich by train, on the main rail route to St. Gallen; fast
trains depart daily from the main train station, about every half hour. From the
train station, take Bus 10 to Haldengut or Bus 3 to Spital and follow the
R├Âmerholz sign up the hill. By car, follow the autobahn signs for Winterthur-St.
Gallen. Take the Winterthur-Ohringen exit onto Schaffhauserstrasse into town,
then left on Rychenbergstrasse to Haldenstrasse.
A wealth of
fine art was donated to the textile town Winterthur by prosperous local
merchants. One of these was Oskar Reinhart, whose splendid home on the hill
overlooking the town now contains the huge Am R├Âmerholz collection of paintings
from five centuries, including works by Rembrandt, Manet, Renoir, and C├ęzanne.
01 634 38 38
Tue-Fri 9-17 Sat and Sun
from the ice age to the present day
Garten (Zoological Garden)
8am-6pm; Nov-Feb daily 8am-5pm
Tram 6 from
One of the best-known zoos in Europe, Zurich's
Zoological Garden contains some 2,200 animals of about 260 species. It also has
an aquarium and an open-air aviary. You can visit the Africa house, the ape
house, and the terrariums, along with the elephant house and the giant tortoise
house. There are special enclosures for red pandas, otters, and snow leopards,
and a house for clouded leopards, tigers, Amur leopards, and Indian lions.