New Page 1
Dublin is bisected by the River Liffey, with most of the attractions being
located south of the river.
House/ Custom House Quay
10-5 Mon.-Fri. 2-5 Sat., Sun.
House, the most magnificent building in Dublin, was planned in secret by local
merchants who were eager to keep the ships coming all the way into the
commercial heart of the city after the old building had been outgrown.
foundation stone was laid quietly in August of that year, in spite of mobs hired
by the opposition to attack the builders and their work. The architect, James
Gandon, received threatening letters and found it advisable to carry a sword
when he visited the building site.Despite the death of Gandon‚Äôs wife early in
the work, and a fire in the partly completed building, the new Customs House
opened in 1791. Gandon, stayed in Ireland for the rest of his life. He later
designed the Four Courts and the Kings Inns.
Courts Inns Quay
the Irish law courts since 1796 and also on the north of the Liffey, they were
designed by Custom House architect, James Gandon. The four law courts were those
of Chancery, King‚Äôs Bench, Exchequer and Common Pleas. Despite political
intrigues and a history of blockages and objections, the building was opened in
1796 and completed in 1802.
at the outbreak of Civil War in Ireland, anti-treaty forces occupied the Four
Courts. After a siege of two months, Government forces opened fire with field
guns, causing massive damage.
of the encounter are still visible on the columns of the portico. The three-day
battle ended with a huge explosion and fire which destroyed the dome and the
nearby Public Records Office with its irreplaceable contents. Many of Ireland‚Äôs
historical records, including wills and other official deeds, were destroyed .
Since then, the building has been beautifully restored.
a magnificent central hall, sixty-four feet across and usually busy with lawyers
in their traditional wigs and gowns. To the right of the entrance is a panel
with more detailed information about the building and its history. There are
fine views of the city from the upper rotunda of the central building. Open only
when the Courts are in session.
College and Dublin Experience
Library and Book of Kells open 9:30-5 Mon.-Sat. 9 and noon-4:30 Sun. Admission
charged. Children Free.
Experience open 9:15-5:45 daily May-Oct.
College is uppermost in the list of attractions south of the river. It is wise
to arrive early in the day to avoid crowds. Founded by Elizabeth I in 1592, the
university complex contains a campanile and many glorious old buildings. A major
attraction is the library containing the Book of Kells: an illuminated
manuscript of the Gospels dating from around 800 AD, making it one of the oldest
books in the world.. The library houses some three million books in buildings
constructed between 1712 and 1732.
Ireland and House of Lords
Mon-Wed, Fri. 10-5 Thurs. Guided tours Free . Admission Free. Originally built
to house the Irish Parliament, the fine wood paneling and vaulted ceiling add an
air of grandeur to the House of Lords. Eighteenth century tapestries depict
scenes from Irish history. The Parliament was abolished in 1800 with the Act of
Union and Francis Johnston converted the buildings for use as a bank.
50 from Eden Quay; Bus Number 78A from Aston Quay
September 10- 5 daily; October - March: 11 - 4 ; Monday to Sat., 10 - 4.30
Sunday and Bank Holidays
has been developed by The Medieval Trust to recreate the formative period in the
city's growth from the arrival of the Anglo Normans in 1170 to the closure of
its monasteries by Henry VIII in 1540. It is situated in a beautifully preserved
building in the heart of the old city, next to Christchurch Cathedral, to which
it is linked by a bridge. Journey through time and experience the drama and
magic in life-like displays of memorable episodes in Dublin's history over 400
years. A scale model of the city, shows the location of public buildings and the
layout of the streets. Life-size reconstructions illustrate the city environment
of the Middle Ages. As a finale to the exploration of Dublin‚Äôs past, climb the
17th century St Michael's Tower for a unique panoramic view of modern Dublin.
Close; Lower Dublin 7
Mon.-Fri. April-Oct.; 9-11AM and 12:30-3PM Sat.
8:30 daily and 11:45AM Sunday.
Patrick‚Äôs is the oldest Christian site in Dublin. It is said that it was built
on the grounds where St Patrick baptized converts during the 5th century. The
present building dates from 1190 (or possibly 1225). Writer Jonathan Swift was
dean here from 1713-1745, and his tomb is in the church. The cathedral choir
school dates back to 1432, and is still in existence.
Street 677-7129 Bus 49; 50; 54A; 77; 77A
Mon-Fri. 2-5 Sat; Sun.
palace than a fort, it was originally built on the orders of King John in 1204.
The state chambers contain a large collection of antiques. The castle has been
rebuilt, renovated and extended. Deep scars in the stone work can be seen in the
Guardroom at the main entrance. They are the result of bayonet sharpening by the
guards during the 950 years of British rule. Many of the state apartments are
open to the public. The Chapel Royale is an elaborate area designed and
decorated in 1814 in the neo-Gothic style. It contains some 90 carved heads of
famous historical figures. The interior has lavish plaster vaulting and carved
An area of
the city that has been renovated in recent years and now contains many
restaurants and pubs that have become the center of Dublin‚Äôs nightlife. It is
located behind Dame Street and offers excellent views of the River Liffey. In
addition to the restaurants and pubs there is also the Irish Film Center which
shows a wide range of rare films and the Art House, a multimedia center where
one can surf the Net The well known Irish rock band U2 performs at The Kitchen
nightclub in the Temple Bar area. Rounding out the offerings are a number of
trendy shops, book stores, antique shops and boutiques.
The National Museum of Ireland in association with Dublin Bus has available a
bus service linking the 3 Museum sites in Dublin. Hop on the 'Museumlink' bus to
visit any of the locations of the
National Museum of Ireland.
Street Dublin 2
Pearse Station/ bus 10,11,13 or Museumlink.
Tues.-Sat. 2-5 Sunday Admission: Free
one of Dublin‚Äôs most popular attractions. It is split between the 19th century
building on Kildare Street and the newer section at the restored Collins
Barracks (see below)
Kildare Street site concentrates on archeological material and artifacts
relating mostly to Ireland. There is a permanent display of Bronze Age Irish
gold and another of metalwork from the Iron Age to the Middle Ages. There are
also displays of artifacts from prehistoric and Viking Ireland and from ancient
National Museum of Ireland, Collins Barracks
Barracks Benburb Street,
(from Busaras, Connolly and Tara Street DART station) , 25, 25A, 66, 67 (from
Middle Abbey Street)
Tuesday to Saturday 10 - 5, Sunday 2 - 5 Closed Good Friday
are artifacts ranging from weaponry, furniture, folk life and costumes to
silver, ceramics and glassware.
Street, Dublin, 2
7A, 8 (Burgh Quay). Nearest DART Station: Pearse Station (Westland Row) or
10 - 5, Sunday 2 - 5 . Closed Good Friday
Natural History Museum which is part of the National Museum of Ireland, is a
zoological museum containing collections illustrative of the wild life, both
vertebrate and invertebrate, of Ireland. Skeletons of two whales found stranded
on the Irish coast are suspended from the roof.
National Gallery of Ireland
Square West, Dublin 2
Pearse station/ bus 5,6,7,7A and 10 10-5:15 Mon-Fri., Sat. Thurs. 10-8:30 Sun.
2-5 Admission: Donation
National Gallery houses a premier collection of European and Old Master works
from the 14th ‚Äď 20th centuries. George Bernard Shaw was a major benefactor.
There is also an excellent collection of the work of Irish masters. Jack Yeats,
Roderic O‚ÄôConnor, William Arpen, Nathaniel Hone and Walter Osborne are all
represented. Caravaggio‚Äôs ‚ÄúThe Taking of Christ‚ÄĚ is on permanent display. There
is a multimedia center where the collection can be researched via computer.
Mon.-Wed. 10:30-4:30 Thurs.,Fri. 10:30-12:30 Sunday
is an integral part of the National Library, and is housed in a colorful
mid-nineteenth century building, the former Kildare Street Club. Decorative
birds and monkeys playing billiards and musical instruments form the window
carvings. Modern banners of Ireland‚Äôs ancient chieftains hang from the ceiling.
Visitors seeking to trace their Irish ancestry and family history can make
inquiry at the Consultancy Service at the National Library itself which is
located just a few doors away.
William Street Dublin 2
city buses 10-6 Tues.-Sat. 11-2 Sunday.
highlights of this small museum for history buffs are: Charles Brookings‚Äôs 1728
map of Dublin and a set of James Malton aquatints from 1793 that show Dublin at
the height of it Georgian development.
founder of the hospital, Dr. Bartholomew Mosse, took up midwifery in Dublin in
1742 and launched a campaign to provide a suitable hospital for mothers to
promote safety in pregnancy and childbirth. He and his committee acquired the
Parnell Square site in 1748 and invested as a fundraising venture. The ceiling
of the chapel, decorated by the stuccodore Barthelemy Cramillion, has gained an
international reputation. The woodwork of the pews, paneling and fluted columns
is of mahogany and the gallery has some intricate ironwork. Mosse died at the
age of 47 in 1759, three years before the Chapel was opened.
National Wax Museum
Parnell Square, Dublin 1
Saturday 10am - 5.30pm, Sunday noon - 5.30pm
13, 16, 22, 22A from Westmoreland Street
world where fantasy and reality combine and heroes of the past and the present
come alive before your eyes. The Children‚Äôs World of Fairytale and Fantasy is a
display that especially appeals to children as they wander through the Kingdom
of Fairytales to find the magical lamp and the all powerful genie! The main
section of the wax exhibition broadly reflects the historical and cultural
development of Ireland. Displays have an informative and educational narrative
which can be heard at the touch of a button.
Municipal Gallery of Art
Lane Gallery Parnell Square, Dublin 1
3,10,11,13,16,19,22 9:30-6 Tues.-Fri. 9:30-5 Sat. 11-5 Sun.
which now occupies the building, was established with the presentation in 1905
by the connoisseur Sir Hugh Lane of his valuable collection of Impressionist
paintings to Dublin Corporation on condition that they would be housed in a
suitable building. The museum also features an exhibit of art nouveau stained
glass panels by Harry Clarke. Additionally, there is a collection of works by
international and local contemporary Irish artists. Free Sunday concerts are
held on premises. (Call for schedule)
Dublin Writers Museum
Square Dublin 1
minutes walk frim DART Connolly Station. Bus 10,11,11A,11B,13,13A,16,16A,19,19A.
famous for four winners of the Nobel prize for Literature: George Bernard Shaw;
William Butler Yeats; Samuel Beckett and Seamus Heaney and for many other
world-famous writers who were born or lived in Dublin. This museum was
established to interpret the tradition and the lives, works and literary
heritage of its writers over the past 300 years.. The building itself is a fine
example of eighteenth century craftsmanship, with ornate plasterwork, an
impressive central staircase and a magnificent gallery on the first floor.
Guinness Brewery and Hopstore
Street, Dublin 8
10-5:30 Sun. 2:30-5:30
Hopstore is a Guinness Museum within the brewery that chronicles the process of
producing Guinness stout, the world-renowned thicker, darker beverage that is
unrivaled for its consistency and taste. Admission includes a pint of the famous
Great George‚Äôs Street, Dublin 1
Connolly Station Bus 3,10,11,113,16,19,22 9:30-4:45 Mon.-Sat. 12:30-5 on Sunday.
setting of the Center in an 18th century house amid other restored red brick
Georgian residences just off O‚ÄôConnell Street is further authenticated by the
fact that tours are conducted by members of Joyce‚Äôs family. There is an
extensive library, exhibits and information about James Joyce and his work.
There are even cassette tapes available which offer the opportunity to hear
Joyce reading from Ulysses and Finnegan‚Äôs Wake.
Garden of Remembrance
of Parnell Square
was opened in 1966 on the fiftieth anniversary of the Easter Rising of 1916 and
was dedicated to those who gave their lives in the cause of Irish freedom. The
mosaics on the floor of the central pool depict broken and discarded weapons as
a sign of peace. At the end of the garden is a large bronze sculpture by Ois√≠n
Kelly depicting The Children of Lir, who according to an ancient Irish legend
were transformed into swans.
Mary‚Äôs Catholic Pro-Cathedral
Marlborough Street, Dublin 1
DART ‚Äď Connolly Station
Dublin‚Äôs population is predominantly Roman Catholic, its two cathedrals are both
of the Protestant faith. St. Mary‚Äôs, dedicated in 1825, became known as the
Pro-Cathedral and is still ‚Äėstanding in‚Äô. One of Dublin‚Äôs most noted
neo-classical buildings, its Greek Doric design is based on the church of St.
Philippe-le-Roule in Paris.
National Print Museum
Old Garrison Church Beggars Bush Haddington Road , DUBLIN 4 Tel: 660-3770 May to
‚ÄďSept. Mon ‚Äď Fri. 10. - 12.30, 2.30 - 5.00 Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays 12
the 1860's, the National Print Museum houses a unique collection of artifacts
and machines from all sectors of the printing industry in Ireland. The emphasis
is on industrial printing. The Beggars Bush building was originally a barracks
and the central garrison building houses the Irish Labour History Museum .
Walworth Road Portobello, Dublin 8
11-3:30 Tues., Thurs.,Sun. Oct.-April 10:30 Sunday. Other times: Call for
appointment. Admission: Donation The collection of documents and artifacts
relating to the Jewish community in Dublin includes a replica of a turn of the
century Jewish kitchen from a Jewish neighborhood. A synagogue preserved with
ritual fittings is also present. An exhibit chronicles the pogroms against the
Jews in Limerick in the 1920‚Äôs. Rabbi Herzog, Irelans‚Äôs first chief rabbi is
commemorated by a plaque, as is Ireland‚Äôs most famous Jew of fiction, James
Joyce‚Äôs Leopold Bloom.
51,51B,78A,79 9:30-6 daily (April-Sept.) 9:30-5 Mon-Fri. (Oct. ‚Äď March) 10-6
Sunday Guided tours only.
is the best known and most notorious of Irish prisons. It was here that the
leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising were executed. Displays chronicle events of
Ireland‚Äôs uprisings from 1800 on. Other displays show conditions in 19th century
prisons. Note: Some exhibits such as the one that shows the process of death by
hanging in detail are extremely graphic. Parental discretion is advised.
Street Dublin 1
Connolly Station All cross city buses
Mon.-Sat. Admission: Free
General Post Office is one of the last great public buildings of the Georgian
era. Its great Ionic portico with six fluted columns contains three stone
figures representing Mercury (the messenger of the gods), Hibernia and Fidelity.
holds a special place in Irish history as the headquarters of the Irish
Volunteers in the Easter Rising of 1916. The Rising began on Easter Monday when
armed detachments of the Irish Volunteers and the Citizen Army, commanded by the
patriots Patrick Pearse and James Connolly, seized and occupied the building.
Other strategic locations in the city were also taken over. The Proclamation of
the Irish Republic outside the building by Patrick Pearse is commemorated by a
tablet on the wall. In 1922, after eight centuries of occupation, an independent
Irish State was established. Reconstruction of the gutted GPO began in 1925 and
the interior was splendidly restored.
Irish Traditional Music Center
Village Ireland Dublin 7
9.30 am -
6.00 Mon- Sat. 12.- 6 Sundays all year.
charged Buses 25, 25A, 67, 67A from Middle Abbey Street, 68, 69, 79, from Aston
Quay, 90 from Connolly, Tara and Heuston Stations. Ceol, the Irish word for
music, pays homage to the greatness of past musicians and performers as it
celebrates Irish music of today. You can listen to the fiddle, pipes ,
accordion, concertina, flute, whistle, and the whole range of traditional
instruments. The emotional experiences of the Irish People are captured in songs
that tell of their victories and their defeats. Dance is central to Irish
traditional music. Examples of the three major forms: set dancing, ceili
dancing, and the performance tradition are presented.
Christchurch Place, Dublin 8
Mon.-Sat. Sunday Service: 11 AM
the cathedral date back to the original wooden building constructed in 1038 and
to the 1172 replacement built for Ireland‚Äôs first invader, Richard deClare.
Edward VI was crowned king of England here in 1487 and 100 years later King
Henry VIII burned the church, after which it was turned into law courts. The
church is high, gray and dark inside with stone sculptures. A huge crypt spans
the length of the building under the church. A bridge leads into what was the
Synod Hall and is now Dublinia.
Street Lower Dublin 7
and 2-4:45 Mon.-Fri. 10-12:45 Saturday
Michan‚Äôs was for five hundred years the only parish church in Dublin north of
the River Liffey. It was founded in about 1095 by residents of the Danish colony
in Oxmanstown. The present structure dates from 1685 when it was completely
rebuilt. The church contains a magnificent organ, on which Handel is believed to
have played while composing ‚ÄėThe Messiah‚Äô. Among other treasured items is a
chalice dating from 1516.
Michan‚Äôs is especially famous for its vaults and the mummified bodies which lie
there, preserved by the limestone in the ground which keeps the air absolutely
dry. Some of the bodies, in a fine state of preservation, are on view to the